Welcome to our Job Postings Center. Here you will find all open potions with the Township of Franklin. To be notified of job opportunities please visit our E-Notification Center.
PLEASE NOTE:WE ARE AWARE OF AN ISSUE SOME USERS MAYBE EXPERIENCING WITH THE ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL HELPDESK@TWP.FRANKLIN.NJ.US AND REPORT YOUR EXACT ISSUE AND THE WEB BROWSER YOU WERE USING AT THE TIME OF THE ISSUE. PLEASE USE THIS EMAIL ONLY FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE APPLICATIONS.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$28,956.00 - $48,875.50/yr.
- Posted Date:10/27/2017 3:07 PM
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under the supervision of the Director of Community Development: consolidates, simplifies, and coordinates permit application procedures; provides expediting and information services to those submitting permit applications for work to be done in the Township; utilizes clerical and communication skills to assist the public in understanding, completing, and submitting documentation for the issuance of permits required by the Township; acts as point of contact for all internal departments involved in the permit application process; and performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Informs applicants of permits and pre-approvals necessary for construction projects.
• Provides assistance to applicants in the completion of applications and answers their questions regarding regulations pertaining to the proposed work.
• Provides information review services to applicants concerning procedures and/or applications
• Consults, advises, and provides information to prospective businesses and industries on permit application procedures.
• Receives, reviews, and adjusts complaints.
• Checks all permit applications for correctness, completeness, and compliance with applicable regulations.
• Ensures that new applications are entered into the system, either electronically or manually, and sent to the proper department in a timely fashion.
• Reviews application forms and other documents required for the submission and processing of permits from all departments and proposes changes to simplify or consolidate the same.
• Ensures that all necessary forms and documents are up to date and available in sufficient quantity.
• Reviews the flow of the permit process and suggests methods to make it work in a smoother, simpler, and/or more efficient manner.
• Assists with the training of new clerical employees.
• Supervises a designated section of the clerical activity of the unit and gives assignments to employees.
• Organizes assigned work and develops effective work methods.
• Establishes, maintains, classifies, indexes, and cross-references records and files.
• Prepares reports and routine correspondence.
• Other duties as assigned.
• At least three years experience in general clerical work.
• Extensive experience in a municipal Construction Office.
• Additional work in code enforcement, which may include: Zoning, Planning, Engineering, and/or Fire Prevention.
• Extensive experience working with the public and delivering quality customer service, preferably in a government setting.
• Extensive experience with computers and in data entry.
• A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
• Technical Assistant Certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs is strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Working knowledge of the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code.
• Knowledge of the procedures that must be followed to secure permits for new construction, alterations, and demolition.
• Knowledge of Township regulations that pertain to the granting of various permits (after a period of training).
• Knowledge of the types of permits likely to be needed for the relocation or expansion of a business.
• Knowledge of the methods used to analyze information.
• The ability to understand and apply New Jersey Uniform Construction Code.
• The ability to understand and apply local ordinances, and resolutions, and codes referring to construction and other work requiring permits.
• The ability to interpret laws, rules, and regulations and apply them to particular situations.
• The ability to deal with the public courteously, tactfully, and promptly.
• The ability to provide guidance and assistance in regard to the permit application process.
• The ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those interested or involved in the work of permit processing.
• The ability to train and supervise personnel.
• The ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those interested or involved in the work of the unit.
• The ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
• The ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the Township, department, or related units.
• The ability to review and analyze information concerning the permit review process.
• The ability to maintain records and files, prepare reports, and compose correspondence.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Telephone, personal computer, copy machine, postage machine, fax machine, calculator, scanner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work is performed mostly in field settings. Considerable outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, construction sites, or public works facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate testing instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stand; use hands to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stand; use hands to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
Applications available at the Human Resources Office, 475 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 or on the Township website: www.franklintwpnj.org
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATOIN, AGE OR HANDICAP.
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE
Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of NJ State, County and Local government must reside in the State of New Jersey unless exempted under law.