Welcome to our Job Postings Center. Here you will find all open potions with the Township of Franklin. To be notified of job opportunities please visit our E-Notification Center.
PLEASE NOTE:WE ARE AWARE OF AN ISSUE SOME USERS MAYBE EXPERIENCING WITH THE ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL HELPDESK@TWP.FRANKLIN.NJ.US AND REPORT YOUR EXACT ISSUE AND THE WEB BROWSER YOU WERE USING AT THE TIME OF THE ISSUE. PLEASE USE THIS EMAIL ONLY FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE APPLICATIONS.
Part Time Animal Control Officer
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20 - $25 per hour
- Posted Date:12/01/2017 1:55 PM
Division: Animal Control
Maximum of 25 hours per week.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
This position performs routine and complex public safety work in the enforcement of animal control ordinances.
Works under the general supervision of assigned Police Personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Patrols streets to locate stray animals; promptly captures animals and transports them to an animal shelter.
• Responds to complaints concerning animal problems or violations of animal control ordinances, including but not limited to animals running at large, bites, property damage, or injuries.
• Removes dead, injured or dangerous animals from streets and residential premises.
• Cares for, feeds and houses animals at the animal shelter; provides maintenance and upkeep for the animal shelter.
• Maintains records and files of the animal shelter and the animals housed there; logs all incidents concerning animal control;
• Compiles a variety of data regarding animal control data; prepares daily, monthly, and annual reports of activities.
• Investigates violations of animal control ordinances and issues warnings or citations as required; appears in court to testify regarding animal control cases.
• Serves various criminal or civil notices or papers related to enforcement of animal control ordinances.
• Coordinates a public relations program in order to foster public awareness of ordinances regarding animal control and humane treatment of animals; works closely with the media, public interest groups and businesses to promote improved care and control of animals.
• Works an assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action being expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance.
• Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent.
• Carries out duties in conformance with Federal, State, County, and Township laws and ordinances;
• Maintains contact with police supervisory personnel to coordinate investigation activities, provide mutual assistance during emergency situations and provides general information about Department activities.
• Must be available for evening and weekend hours.
• Maintains departmental equipment, supplies and facilities.
• Serves as a member of various employee committees.
• Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Some knowledge of law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment; working knowledge of animal restraint and care techniques.
• Some skill in operating the tools and equipment listed below.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Ability to learn the applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors and the public.
• Ability to deal tactfully with the public.
• Ability to handle multiple demands simultaneously.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
• Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to learn the Township's geography.
• Ability to meet the special requirements listed below.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED equivalent;
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver's License.
• Must be a State of New Jersey Certified Animal Control Officer.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
• Animal Control vehicle, animal capture equipment, police radio, pager, first aid equipment, personal computer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, run, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applications available at the Township of Franklin, 475 Demott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 or on the Township website www.franklintwpnj.org
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AGE OR HANDICAP.
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE.
Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of NJ State, County and Local government must reside in the State of New Jersey unless exempted under law.