Welcome to our Job Postings Center. Here you will find all open potions with the Township of Franklin. To be notified of job opportunities please visit our E-Notification Center.
PLEASE NOTE:WE ARE AWARE OF AN ISSUE SOME USERS MAYBE EXPERIENCING WITH THE ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL HELPDESK@TWP.FRANKLIN.NJ.US AND REPORT YOUR EXACT ISSUE AND THE WEB BROWSER YOU WERE USING AT THE TIME OF THE ISSUE. PLEASE USE THIS EMAIL ONLY FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE APPLICATIONS.
Fire Prevention Officer
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$50,484.84/yr.
- Posted Date:01/12/2018 3:24 PM
- Deadline to Apply:02/07/2018 4:30 PM
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under direction, inspects buildings to detect and eliminate fire hazards and enforce all applicable fire safety codes, rules and regulations.
Works under the general supervision of the Director of Fire Prevention and the Deputy Director of Fire Prevention.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspects various buildings, structures and premises to detect and eliminate fire hazards.
2. Insures compliance with the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code and Code of Franklin Township.
3. Inspects the maintenance of automatic fire suppression systems, extinguishers and other fire protection equipment.
4. Observes automatic fire protection equipment testing at periodic intervals.
5. Checks for the safe storage and handling of flammable and hazardous materials.
6. Inspects buildings and structures for proper exit signs and illumination.
7. Assists in the investigation of fires to determine origin and cause.
8. Prepares reports and assists with record keeping and filing.
9. Assists in various public education and fire safety activities.
10. Operates municipal and Fire CAD computer systems in the course of daily work.
11. Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Serves on various employee or other committees as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
1. Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent, and
2. Possession of valid Fire Inspector Certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
3. Experience in building inspection to review compliance with fire safety codes and regulations, volunteer or paid fire fighting, or investigating of fires.
4. Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge and comprehension of state and local fire codes and national reference standards.
2. Ability to apply fire code standards to all types of structures and uses.
3. Ability to read and write English.
4. Ability to prepare clear and concise written reports.
5. Requires skills essential to dealing with the public on a constant basis, and sometimes under adverse conditions.
6. Knowledge of fire and its characteristics.
7. Ability to assist in performing analysis of fire scenes to determine origin and cause.
Must possess a valid Fire Inspector Certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Fire extinguisher, telephone, pager, portable radio, mobile radio, camera, shovel, broom, pry bar, fire hose, ladder, vapor detector, computer, self contained breathing apparatus, generator, VCR, projector, camcorder, fax machine, and various hand and portable power tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands-to-finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Applications are available at the Human Resources Office, Franklin Township, 475 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 or on the Township website: www.franklintwpnj.org
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGION, AGE OR HANDICAP.
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE.
Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of NJ State, County and Local government must reside in the State of New Jersey unless exempted under law.