Township News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Want your news via email? Subscribe to our E-Notifications here!

Press Release CO Exposure

Post Date:12/15/2017 7:30 PM
On December 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM the Franklin Township Police Department received a call from a local area hospital requesting a welfare check of a residence on Churchill Avenue.  Hospital personnel stated that in the early morning hours 5 individuals came to the emergency room suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.    Hospital personnel stated that additional people may be in the residence.    Officers along  with firefighters from Community Fire Company and the Franklin Township Office of Fire Prevention responded to the scene and found 3 adults, ages 37, 36 and 25, as well as 3 juveniles, ages 14, 11 and 5 all suffering from varying stages of illness.  Additionally, the family dog appeared to be suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide.  The adults and juveniles were transported to a local area hospital for treatment.  The canine was taken by Franklin Township Animal Control to an emergency veterinary clinic where it was treated and released for exposure to carbon monoxide.  

It was learned that there were multiple families living in the home at the time of the incident.  The family that lived downstairs (5 individuals) went to the hospital in the early morning hours after the CO alarm went off and they weren’t feeling well.  They never contacted the police, fire company, PSE&G or the residents upstairs.  The upstairs residence was not equipped with a CO alarm, so they had no knowledge that there was an issue. 

Representatives from PSE&G responded and determined that the carbon monoxide that filled the home was coming from the boiler in the basement.  They disconnected service to the house so that repairs could be made.  The Franklin Township Office of Fire Prevention and the Franklin Township Zoning Department have an on-going investigation into this incident.  
Return to full list >>