Franklin Township Police Department
Public Safety Building
N.J. FIREARMS PURCHASER I.D. CARD & PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN
- Applicant must be a resident of Franklin Township and be at least 18 years of age to obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, and 21 years of age to qualify for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
- Required forms can be downloaded by clicking on the following links:
- All applications must be legibly filled out completely in black ink or typed on the downloaded form.
- Please ensure completeness of all forms and if applicable, indicate the number of Permits on the top of the form. Note: Effective January 1, 2010, the State of New Jersey limits the purchase of handguns to 1 every 30 days.
- References must be individuals who are not relatives and who do not reside with you. References cannot be from the same household. Provide full name, address including zip code and phone numbers for references. P.O. Box addresses cannot be accepted.
- If you have been previously fingerprinted by the Franklin Twp. Police Department for Firearms purposes, a NJ State Police request for Criminal Records SBI 212A needs to be completed by going online to http://njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/ Our ORI Number is NJ0180800. There is a $20 fee to complete the SBI 212A.
- If you have NEVER been fingerprinted by the Franklin Twp. Police Department for Firearms purposes, you will receive the fingerprinting instructions and forms by mail.
- Upon completion of these forms, you must bring them to the Franklin Twp Police Department in person.
- Once your background investigation is complete, you will be notified by the Franklin Township Police Department in writing. Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and/or Permits can be picked up at the Records Bureau of the Police Department, Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM.
- When you pick up your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit(s), you will be required to pay $5.00 for the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and $2.00 for each Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Payment can be made by cash, check or money order.
- Applicants must provide two forms of identification and sign the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permits at the time of receipt. Applicants for a change of address/name must surrender their old Firearms Purchaser Identification Card before the new card will be issued.
Further information can be obtained by visiting the Frequently Asked Questions section on the Franklin Township Police Department website or by visiting the New Jersey State Police Firearms Information
Please direct any questions to Professional Services at 732-873-5533, ext. 3152